Thinking Hands was founded by Chinese artist Huang Rui and French curator Bérénice Angremy. It is a cultural organization that combines a bold pioneering and creative temperament with an important managing rationality. Our engagement in a long succession of artistic and social activities has established Thinking Hands as a main player in the cultural landscape of Beijing and in the international art world.
Our Activities include:
- Organizing large scale cultural events
- Curating visual art exhibitions in China and abroad
- Curating performance art events and scholarly/thematic conferences
- Designing and producing challenging, high profile and quality publications
Our Art Services include
- Cultural consulting
- Providing a customized art experience when visiting the art scene in China
- Establishing links between foreign and Chinese partners
Our trilingual team of Chinese, English and French speakers includes contemporary art specialists, high profile artists and designers who are eager to promote contemporary art.
Thinking Hands was established in 2003 in response to the threat to tear down the 798 Art District. During this time, the Thinking Hands team contributed to the legalization of the District through a wide variety of joint activities that ranged from concepts, programs and space renovations to art curatorship. These efforts helped to make the 798 Art District the first ever protected industrial patrimony of Beijing and created a precedent to the creation of an official art zone.
From 2004 to 2007, Thinking Hands founded and organized the multidisciplinary arts festival DIAF (Dangdai/Dashanzi International Art Festival) that, in terms of experimental art scene and of social improvement, promoted and broadened the vision of Chinese contemporary arts in Beijing.